 Space / 21358
Re: How would you move a planet?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Sun, 16 Feb 2003 05:10:00 GMT

Make the giant turtle on which the disk rides travel in a different direction.
Disk World (Author?)

Since the world is attached to the hub by cable, simply fire the control engines
in the hub.
Ring World (Larry Niven)

Ok...the whole molten core and thin rock surface thing...maybe we could create
some small degree of control in the moons direction and use that to influence
the Earth's. (Does the moon have a molten core?)

Marlon 'Excelerator' Smith
X_LR8R@hotmail.com

"Jon Palmer" <jon@zemi.net> wrote in message news:HABBIM.81H@lugnet.com...
Unlike my earlier post about the cables and reels, this does not directly
have anything to do with an upcoming MOC, but I thought it would be a fun
discussion nonetheless.

Now moving a giant body from one place to another is obviously a sci fi
staple, so I expect a lot of references to various books, but it would also
be cool to hear some random ideas out of the blue.

For visual impact I keep imagining city sized thrusters spaced out evenly
over one side of the planet.  Or maybe a massive super thin/strong net
covering the whole planet, pulled on the other side by some space tugs.

Ideas?

[ j o n ]
--
http://zemi.net