 Space / 21338
Re: How would you move a planet?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Sat, 15 Feb 2003 04:41:27 GMT

1) On the only Futurama episode I've ever seen, they revealed that their
delivery ship works by actually standing still, and moving the universe
around it.  I bet that could be scaled down.... I need to watch more of that
show.

2) I saw Superman (when he had electrical powers for a few months) change
the moon's polarity to repel it from the earth, as it was crashing towards
it.  I guess this would hinge on the planet being near a much larger mass.

3) I think the easiest way would be to slow the rotation of the planet
around its star, to let it drift out (or conversely, speed the rotation to
move it closer); once the planet is out of its orbit, it should be easier to
move.  Although, this would seriously affect the concept of years.

-nk

<snip>
Now moving a giant body from one place to another is obviously a sci fi
staple, so I expect a lot of references to various books, but it would also
be cool to hear some random ideas out of the blue. • <yoink>
Ideas?