 Space / 19678
    Displacement Tonnage for Spaceships? —John P. Henderson
   A long long time a go, in a thread far away.... actually, I think it was buried somewhere in this thread here: (URL) again here: (URL) of us had discussed ways of indicating a spaceship's size, perhaps measuring it in hundreds of studs with Roman (...) (22 years ago, 29-Dec-02, to lugnet.space)

        Re: Displacement Tonnage for Spaceships? —Kyle Keppler
     Soudns inneresting, but waaaaay too complicated. Counting the length of my ships is bad enough, let alone calcuating anything. I prefer to call my stuff big, really big, insanely big, and ludicris big. But I think Jon's SHIP term is good enough for (...) (22 years ago, 29-Dec-02, to lugnet.space)

         Re: Displacement Tonnage for Spaceships? —John P. Henderson
     (...) Haha! :) I hope someday that I can build a ludicrous big ship. Most of mine are sorta small, fairly small, and diminutively small. :) (The Terrorformer and the Armegeddon being two exceptions of course.) -H. (22 years ago, 30-Dec-02, to lugnet.space)

         Re: Displacement Tonnage for Spaceships? —Jordan D. Greer
     (...) Don't worry, building large ships is actually easier than it might seem. I was building mere 100 studish long ships for years, then I decided to make the jump to large ships. I now have built a 240 or stud long ship which weighs upward of 25 (...) (22 years ago, 31-Dec-02, to lugnet.space)

         Re: Displacement Tonnage for Spaceships? —Jesse Alan Long
     (...) Why not take a picture of the space craft, that way, we can all enjoy your work? We are all anxious to see what it looks like so please feel free to show us your work. Mine may be crummy but at least I am going to be proud of what I did with (...) (22 years ago, 5-Jan-03, to lugnet.space)

         Re: Displacement Tonnage for Spaceships? —John P. Henderson
     (...) Haha! Sounds like a challenge! <grin> Well, even if not meant as such, I shall do my best. I may talk faster than I build. And I may build faster than I can photograph & scan. But one way or the other, I shall deliver onto you that which you (...) (22 years ago, 6-Jan-03, to lugnet.space)

        Re: Displacement Tonnage for Spaceships? —John Henry Kruer
     Sounds cool. Of course, the 5-foot high wall thing is a bit off, but for the sake of simplicity we can say that 8x8x5 studs equals ton. Sounds like a cool idea! I wonder if the actual measurements taken in the game RPG Traveller is true, though. (...) (22 years ago, 29-Dec-02, to lugnet.space)

         Re: Displacement Tonnage for Spaceships? —John P. Henderson
     (...) Yes, and it was this relatively convenient conversion that made me think this measurment might be useful for some of us who build in ABS. (...) Based on the other commentary I have seen, I would guess no. But I still feel it was worthy of (...) (22 years ago, 30-Dec-02, to lugnet.space)

        Re: Displacement Tonnage for Spaceships? —Jordan D. Greer
    In Traveller, spaceships use a convention of how much hydrogen might (...) Whomever created "Traveller" obviously didn't think things through. Nor did (s)he know much about physics or space. Mass is a MUCH better way of comparing the sizes of space (...) (22 years ago, 30-Dec-02, to lugnet.space)

        Re: Displacement Tonnage for Spaceships? —John P. Henderson
   (...) I would agree that it is not based on any true science. Rather, I suspect hydrogen displacement was chosen because of the potential "sounds cool factor", since it sounds like a nautical term. Some sci-fi's (not all) like to draw comparisons (...) (22 years ago, 30-Dec-02, to lugnet.space)

        Re: Displacement Tonnage for Spaceships? —Leonard Hoffman
    (...) mass= gram or kilogram. (metric weight would be newtons, for standard it is pounds- both are used when describing force.. ie. 15 pounds of pressure, 20 newtons of pressure). In my own fake scifi world, I imagined that ships would be (...) (22 years ago, 30-Dec-02, to lugnet.space)