 Space / 17952
17951  |  17953
Subject:
Moonbase Monorail (was Re: New MOC: Module!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Sat, 28 Sep 2002 16:37:20 GMT

Mark wrote:

Woo hooo!  Bram, you rock.  If we can get a monorail and, dare I say it, the
EMP next to it the moonbase could be a virtual map for the Seattle Center.

Well, I'm trying to get some monorail connected with the moonbase.
Unfortunately, I'm discovering that the choice of height of the
connecting passages makes things complicated for monorails. A height of
10 bricks instead of 8 (to tbe floor plate) would have made monorails a
lot easier to incorporate.

Has anyone yet incorporated monorail into a module?

I started off by putting my track at 10 bricks hight (the standard
height for elevated monorail track), but that isn't fitting into my
module concept very well. Then I tried ground level track, but that
can't quite go under walkways (yea, someone pointed out if you stripped
off any things that stick up, you could just barely make it, but I hate
to limit the options of monorail trains). Track height would have to be
20 bricks to be able to run over almost any module which didn't have
planned track.

I liked David Wegmuller's track placement, but as I'm starting to work
on my module, I'm realizing that cuts into the module quite a bit.

I think I'm going to go with track at 20 bricks height. That will clear
lots of modules and give me plenty of space to do stuff under the track.

It is going to make my module pretty tall, but then the recent trend is
obviously build up not out...

Frank