 Off-Topic / Geek / 3962
Re: New MOC: Module!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Mon, 30 Sep 2002 17:13:59 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

In lugnet.space, Jon Palmer writes:
"Bram Lambrecht" <bram@cwru.edu> wrote in message
news:H35nKp.821@lugnet.com...

<snip>

After all, there are similar towers in Toronto and Niagra
Falls.  The Space Needle just happens to be the coolest.

Well the Space Needle is undeniably the most iconic and well known. (605
feet)  But I happen to be a little partial to the Reunion Tower in Dallas.
(560 feet)
http://www.dallassky.com/p5-14.1.jpg

I honestly think Toronto's CN tower is in a completly different class at
1815 feet.
http://www1.leeds.ac.uk/~jeremy/www8/cn-tower.jpg

But that is of course nothing compared to the KTUL TV tower at 1909 feet,
located in...(queue twilight zone music)...Coweta, Oklahoma.

Um, isn't that "EX" tower? I heard it came crashing down last week.

list of tallest structures as of a while ago:

http://pub125.ezboard.com/fworldarchitecturecommunityfrm6.showMessage?topicID=31.topic

Interesting list. I wonder how you would classify a free hanging rappel
rope? A bunch of cavers rigged a 3230' cliff on Mt. Thor in Canada.
Here's a couple links (the 2nd is in a Nordic language, but has some
drawings with English labels):

http://oldsci.eiu.edu/physics/len/grotto/may1995.htm#TANDEM
http://www.nautilus.cz/LEZENI%20(03).html

Of course with a rappel rope the structure which is supporting the
height isn't man made. On the other hand, a mile of continuous rope is
kind of impressive.

Frank