 Space / 15501
Re: Universal docking port
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Fri, 19 Jul 2002 22:03:23 GMT

"Jeff Szklennik" <jeffszklennik@usaexpress.net> writes:
note:  this was originally posted in lugnet.loc.au, but i forgot to x-post it
to space, & I wanted feedback.  Apologies if this is overposting.

This is the general idea for my universal docking port--the actual width can
be changed as wished (probably 6x6 for minifig, etc.).  I wanted to display the
arrangement of pegs & holes that work well.  This one design would work for
BOTH sides of the port -the ship & the station--that's the beauty of it--one
design that has male & female parts! & can be rotated at 90 degree increments.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Jeff-S/CAD/dockingport.jpg

Very nice concept.  But I fear it may not be practical in real
life. Eight Technic pegs will not pull apart easily, and the SNOT
technique will make it very difficult if not impossible to attach them
securely enough to withstand the force needed to pull the ships apart.

I think that Technic pegs may not be a very good mechanism for a
docking port.  I've got some ideas that are difficult to describe, so
I'll work on them and report back at a later date...

--Bill.

AMAZING BUT TRUE: There is so much sand in northern Africa that if it were
                  spread out it would completely cover the Sahara Desert!