 Space / 15505
Re: Universal docking port
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Sat, 20 Jul 2002 00:03:47 GMT

"Jeff Szklennik" <jeffszklennik@usaexpress.net> writes:
I was trying to show the concept quickly (ironicly, i was trying to
improve on your design, but i couldn't rmember where i saw it, so i
couldn't give credit!).  I had intended to do the math on a non-snot
version for the exact strength reason you mention.  also, maybe a
part #3749-"Technic Axle Pin" could be used instead of pins on four
of the male parts, to reduce friction & keep rotational stability.

Yeah, those measures would help.  But the docking rings I designed are
very tough to separate, and usually required partial reassembly of at
least one of the two craft once separated.  Doubling the number of
connects will only exacerbate that.  I'm not sure what you have in
mind for the Technic Axle Pin, but I'd be interested to see what you
can come up with.

I'm thinking in terms of a 2x2x1.67 (which is perfectly square)
protrusion fitting into a socket of the same size in the other craft,
and then a Technic *axle* sliding into a hole in it to secure it.  I
hope that description does it justice.  I'll try to build a mock-up
soon.

--Bill.

AMAZING BUT TRUE: There is so much sand in northern Africa that if it were
                  spread out it would completely cover the Sahara Desert!