 Space / 15372
Re: Et In Arcadia Lego - Permanent Build Proposal Coolness
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Mon, 8 Jul 2002 06:08:06 GMT

"Ray, for a moment, pretend that I don't know anything about metallurgy,
engineering, or physics, and just tell me what the hell is going on."

Paul, I gotta some questions. Mama Mia!

1. What is meant by "doors"? As in a specific LEGO element? Or do you just
mean an open area so many bricks high and so many er..."bumps" wide? Jeez I
haven't interacted with any AFOLs in centuries and am forgetting the
terminology with each passing week.

2. When you state "6-sided" as your preference, I sure hope you mean
"cube-like" (top, 4 sides, bottom) because I don't know of any hexagonal
LEGO elements...unless you're referring to those elbow-joints found in
Technic sets and used to connect axles.

3. FOR THE REST OF OUR DURATION AS BUILDERS, huh? As in bring it to the
event and make it a...shall we say..."donation"? LEGO is friggin' expensive.
I say if there's any permanent parting to be done between an AFOL and their
bricks, we oughta get some kind of pass-the-hat operation going on the
side...as in "Please Give Generously to Project SpaceStation", that kind of
thing, and use the funds from that to supply us with elements.

4. Finally, as this thing grows with each event, who's gonna store the
monster? Where?

Patience and Understanding always welcome.

Shadekur

In lugnet.space, Paul Hartzog writes:
howD all,
I've been pondering the reasons WHY collaborative builds
never quite work and I beleive I have solved the problem,
so I have a proposition and an invitation:

1) A multi-purpose space station composed of 'modules'
(multi purpose allows for builders to be creative)

2) A standard 'portal' size/interface between modules
(so all the modules can fit together)

3) A central core shaft (like an elevator shaft) that
is basically nothing but doors on all 4 sides of the shaft.
This is constructed of shaft-units connected together later
(top of one shaft unit connects to bottom of next unit)

4) A reasonable size limit for modules (imho, <= medium-size
as per the Galactic Shipyard definitions (ask Jon Palmer ;-) )

What You Build:

1) The section of the 'shaft' that attaches to your module(s).
If your module is tall, then your shaft should be tall enough
to extend beyond the boundaries of your module(s).  This assures
that when we hook all the shaft units together later, they will
all have the necessary room.  If your modules need some separation
from the main core, then build a long hallway from your shaft unit
to your module (these are just ideas). Your shaft unit must have
all four doors so that we can attach other modules to any vacant
spaces on the shaft once it is assembled.

2) Your module(s); here are some ideas:

agronomy modules (plants)
mecha launch bay w/ attached mecha (small mecha)
science labs (pharmaceuticals, deep space research, etc)
lounges (tables chairs etc)
sleeping modules (dry-showers, heads, beds, etc)
medical facilities (including appropriate bio facilities, quarantine, etc)
communications modules (lots of greeblies on the outside :-)
operations center (monitors systems and attached modules)
power center (w/ attached solar panels, fusion reactors, whatever)
etc etc etc

BUT,
there are a few items of note:

1) i'd like the opportunity for people who cannot build a shaftunit
to build small modules which we can attach to a vacant doorslot on
a shaft unit in the core shaft later.

2) We will provide endcaps at the top and bottom of the shaft, so no
one has to worry about fleebnorks getting in and mucking up the works.

AND the kicker is this:

1) We bring as many shaft units and modules as we can to the major
lego events (and we photograph everything) and we connect it all up.

2) We make this a Permanent Build, which basically means that EVERY
Fest, we all show up w/ new modules and new shaft units FOR THE REST
OF OUR DURATION AS BUILDERS.

so how about it?
with a website to archive the collective build (offers?)
and a lot of participating funness we could have a real blast with
this i think.

LMKWYT and we'll move forward

-paul

p.s. If the core shaft is 6 sided identical connections then we could
link all the shaft units together like a hamster habitrail and we would
NOT be constrained to a merely 'elevator shaft' style arrangement. I
would prefer this.  suggestions?