 Space / 14488
Re: New MOC: Gyroscopic Fighter
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Mon, 27 May 2002 19:39:08 GMT

In lugnet.space, Ralph Döring writes:
This reminds me of a movie I have seen recently... ;)

I haven't seen EpII yet...so if there's some similarity, it's a coincidence.
Perhaps I should go to get some space inspiration...

Now I know what to do with all the Star Wars hinges.

The click hinges alone were not stiff enough to hold the circular shape (at
least not stiff enough for my tastes), so if you look carefully, you'll also
see old-style Technic angle joints all around the perimeter.

Praise: excellent modell with great functionality. I vote for next MOC set
by TLC (if you are willing to sell your copyrights).

Thanks!  I don't really think it would make a good set though...it's a little
too complicated...

Criticisms: After landing the pilot seems to be trapped :) Does he crawl
below the ring or is he climbing over it ?

Well, there's enough room for the pilot to duck underneath, but I didn't think
too much about that.  I suppose the round wing can act like something of a fort
if the ship comes down in enemy territory...the guns are still on the outside
after all.

Suggestions: Maybe some more cockpit variations. Perhaps like the jedi
starfighter, the ship can leave the ring. This way you could design
different ships that are able to use the same ring.

Not a bad idea.  Especially since I didn't put a whole lot of though into the
current cockpit section :)  There are some pretty rigid constraints on the
design though.   It has to be 10 studs wide at the center, have a 50/50 weight
distribution, a center of balance below the pivot, and be no more than about 25
studs long.

Questions: Can you swoop it around with one hand ?

Yes...you can hold it by the cockpit, but holding it by the top of the ring
works better.  It's not a very good shape for "swooping" though.

And how often do you do this with your space models ?

You got to do it at least once for every model! :)  Heck, I even swooped the
space plane...but that's really hard on your arms.

Comments: As always, a great design with a great website.

Thanks!
--Bram

Bram Lambrecht
bram@cwru.edu