 Space / 1284
Re: bridge designs for big space MOCs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 9 Feb 2000 19:51:35 GMT

In lugnet.space, Paul Davidson wrote:

I was wondering how some of the minifig spaceship creators here like
designing their ship bridges.  Most Lego ships only have small one-man
cockpits, with a little computer console or some levers.  My own ship under
construction, the Nautilus (http://theforce.net/tinman/nautilus), has a
large Star Trek-style bridge with a viewscreen, captain's chair in the
middle, and twelve other chairs and computer stations surrounding him.

I was just curious as to what other design philosophies others use in design
bridges (or maybe you don't even have a bridge!).

I've only done a small amount of bridge work.  One, really.

My perpetually-unfinished large-spaceship project includes a bridge where the
entire shell is made from the transparent 12high quarter-dome pieces.  The idea
was to give the crew as much view as possible.  Although I suspect the panels in
the shell can also display video transmissions - I often catch the late watch
all glassy-eyed, staring at a single panel.

The main bridge deck simply extends from the front of the ship's body, ending in
a T at the middle of this 'bubble'.  The arms of the T go to either side of the
shell.

The two pilots have a station at the front of the shell, set lower than the main
bridge.  The pilots reach their station via a lower deck.

On either side of the pilot's station, there is a crew station comprised of a
chair on an arm.  This arm can move through 90-degrees horizontally, and can
raise and lower as well.  There is a curved console in front of the moving
chair.  One end of the console is anchored at the side of the pilot's station,
the other end is anchored to the side of the main deck.

There will probably be other crewstations set toward the back of the shell, but
that hasn't been decided yet.

See the basic concept at <http://www.geocities.com/partsref/br/br-ss.html>.

Steve