 Space / 12195
Re: Instructions for Mobile Message Decoder
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.cad, lugnet.publish.html
Date:
Sat, 5 Jan 2002 02:23:38 GMT

Tony Hafner <hafhead@PANTSplanetquake.com> wrote in message
I've just finished the largest set of instructions I've ever done.  This • is
for the Mobile Message Decoder, one of my entries in the Blacktron • contest.
Half of the reason I'm posting is to ask for input on the style of the
instructions.

Check it out here:
  http://www.hafhead.com/lego/myspace/bttrain/steps01.html

<snip>
--
Tony Hafner
www.hafhead.com

I'm not sure if you're using ldraw or MLcad, but it's fairly difficult to
tell where borders between pieces are (actually, this is probably only a
problem for black, but it's still significant).  Anyway, if you're using
MLCad, you can try widening the line width in the settings.

I suggest a less contrasting background color - that sand colored background
in all the classic space instructions would be extra cool, if you could get
it.  ;)   The white is a little harsh and a darker color might make it
easier to see pieces.

How exactly are you getting the pictures?  I've never done anything like
this before, but if I were going to, I'd probably just take screen shots of
MLcad.  (I actually did that for my entry - it didn't turn out bad, though
it's certainly not a pov-ray image).  Are you doing something similar?  I
know you don't want to pov-ray them (I don't blame you) but one advantage of
that is that the black is much less "black."  So I guess my only complaint
is the piece borders between black pieces.

Page or step numbers might be nice, but aren't really necessary.  I guess
I'm spoiled by actual Lego instructions.  I've always wondered how the Lego
group actually makes instructions.  They must use something similar to
MLcad.  I wonder why they haven't packaged and sold it.  I'd buy it...

Anyway, your work is apreciated, and the instructions are a great way to see
all the subtle design details that might otherwise be missed in actual
photographs.

                        ~ Tom

http://www.calpoly.edu/~tsciorti/lego.html
lego: sp[cl+++(6891)] moc+++(a1-f) yb77