 Space / 12193
12192  |  12194
Subject:
Instructions for Mobile Message Decoder
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.cad, lugnet.publish.html
Date:
Sat, 5 Jan 2002 01:43:45 GMT

I've just finished the largest set of instructions I've ever done.  This is
for the Mobile Message Decoder, one of my entries in the Blacktron contest.
Half of the reason I'm posting is to ask for input on the style of the
instructions.

Check it out here:
  http://www.hafhead.com/lego/myspace/bttrain/steps01.html

These are all constraints I'm trying to work with.  Am I asking for too much?
  Browsable: small overall download size (doubling the image sizes is not
really an option) and reasonably navigable
  Printable: page layout designed around printed sheet
  Limited image processing: resizing is fine, as is adding "x2" for multiple
copies of a subassembly... but no arrows or insets
  Limited layout work: all pages use small variations of a simple template
AND I don't have to size each image differently AND the ordering of steps is
clear

Anyone have any suggestions?  I'm interested in suggestions on html layout,
image generation, and image processing.  Tool suggestions would be welcome
as well, though I'm not willing to POV-Ray each image.  That adds far too
many steps for each image.  I'd love to see what others have done for models
that are around this size or larger.

Note that this is much easier with smaller models.  Here is another model
I've done in exactly the same way.  The images are closer in, and the lines
between parts show much better.
  http://www.hafhead.com/lego/myspace/btgyro/steps01.html

--
Tony Hafner