 Space / 12232
Re: Instructions for Mobile Message Decoder
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.cad, lugnet.publish.html
Date:
Mon, 7 Jan 2002 18:55:29 GMT

In lugnet.space, Paul Gyugyi writes:
Very nice!
I could follow almost every step.
Some suggestions:

1) As others have said, use numbers rather than arrows.

Yes, that's a hard problem.  I really would like numbers, but have yet to
find an easy way to do good-looking numbers and have them positioned well.

2) On some steps, the scale was too small, and I had
trouble seeing exactly what bricks had been added. It's
better to keep the same scale throughout, and clip off
the edges of the image

I agree- but MLCAD doesn't easily do this.  Would LDraw be better?

3) I find scrolling to be just as hard as clicking.
In the sheets where you have two columns of instructions,
I'd rather just see one column. Printed instructions need
to do columns to save paper.

On anything but a really large monitor, you have to both click *and* scroll
for these instructions.  What's worse, you have to scroll back up to click
the link for the next page.  Ew!  I definitely have to improve that.

4) Add a page of alternate models. I know that sounds like
a lot of work, but a good set has a well-balanced selection
of pieces.

Good point- the concept of a "set" was a key focus of the contest last year,
but not nearly so much this year.

Anyway, thanks for all the suggestions.  I don't know exactly what I'll
implement, but I do appreciate the comments from everyone.

BTW, Paul- your site was an early inspiration (4 years ago, perhaps?) for me
getting started on doing a Lego site.  Thanks for that too!

--
Tony Hafner
www.hafhead.com