 Robotics / Spybotics / 143
Re: Can't run software
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.spybotics
Date:
Mon, 6 Jan 2003 19:57:24 GMT

"Bill Lane" <lane@pipeline.com.au> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:H8A341.L5K@lugnet.com...
Hi Matthias,

Thanks for your reply!   It didn't actually solve the problem.  But it did
get me looking again and going over the options.  The good news is that • the
software is now running and we can access most of the features.  So what • was
the problem?  It seems the software will only run at 800 x 600 px and 16 • bit
colour.  It seems that any variation to that configuration produces the
error message you've read.  Even if the machine is set to 24 bit colour • the
message appears.  But that wasn't the full solution.  Correcting the • display
only earned me a crash.  I also had to reset my graphics settings to Basic
to get the program to run.

But it gives me a good clue what is wrong. Our installation runs fine at
1024x768, 32Bit. So that can not be the reason. But I have experienced much
trouble with the graphics driver. I would look for the latest version in the
WWW (if you give me the card details brand, name, SN) I could look for the
right link.

As I said most of it works.  Problem is the bit that won't work is • accessing
the missions.  As soon as I press that button the whole program closes.

The mission start with a Qicktime-window again and that could make the
trouble with a broken driver. DirectX 8 is an other piece that might need
reinstallation. Macromedia Flash and Shockwave are also needed. But have a
look at the driver first.

No
warnings, no system crashes.  Nothing!  It just closes the program and
returns me to the desktop.  Special Ops runs fine so the boys have been • able
to define some of their own missions.  But they're still very keen to • access
the missions.  Do you have any further advice?

Let's try, but it seems this is a standard hardware/driver problem...

I'm running Windows 98 (4.10.2222A Second Edition) with 320 Mb RAM and an
AMD K6 processor (400MHz).  I've uninstalled and reinstallked Quicktime.

1.) find the latest video driver and install it.
2.) perform a windows update from internet explorer "EXTRAS/Windows Update"
3.) start in safe mode, open control panel/system, device manager, graphic
cards and remove ALL entries. Do the same with all entries in "Monitors".

I've been running the prgram with the virus scanner and firewall turned • off
and I can't see any hardware conflicts.  I took everything out of the
startup folder, but that didn't make any difference.

"Turning it off" and "not starting it" is something different. Turning the
AV or the FW "off" usually leaves the drivers loaded in kind of "pass-by"
mode.

Hope it will not turn out to be a real hardware problem!

Good luck!