 Robotics / Spybotics / 141
Re: Can't run software
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.spybotics
Date:
Mon, 6 Jan 2003 05:55:13 GMT

Hi Matthias,

Thanks for your reply!   It didn't actually solve the problem.  But it did
get me looking again and going over the options.  The good news is that the
software is now running and we can access most of the features.  So what was
the problem?  It seems the software will only run at 800 x 600 px and 16 bit
colour.  It seems that any variation to that configuration produces the
error message you've read.  Even if the machine is set to 24 bit colour the
message appears.  But that wasn't the full solution.  Correcting the display
only earned me a crash.  I also had to reset my graphics settings to Basic
to get the program to run.

As I said most of it works.  Problem is the bit that won't work is accessing
the missions.  As soon as I press that button the whole program closes.  No
warnings, no system crashes.  Nothing!  It just closes the program and
returns me to the desktop.  Special Ops runs fine so the boys have been able
to define some of their own missions.  But they're still very keen to access
the missions.  Do you have any further advice?

I'm running Windows 98 (4.10.2222A Second Edition) with 320 Mb RAM and an
AMD K6 processor (400MHz).  I've uninstalled and reinstallked Quicktime.
I've been running the prgram with the virus scanner and firewall turned off
and I can't see any hardware conflicts.  I took everything out of the
startup folder, but that didn't make any difference.

Thanks for all you help so far.

Bill Lane

In lugnet.robotics.spybotics, Matthias Jaenichen writes:

"Bill Lane" <lane@pipeline.com.au> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Problem detected!
A terminal error has occured in your program.  Shut down all other running
programs and try again.  You may also have to reinstall the product.

Where exactly does this come up? Try to skip the intro with sapce.

Uninstall Quciktime and reinstall it. SpySetup might have failed installinng
QT

I would think that an Anti-Virus, a personal firewall or a hardware conflict
might be the cause.

What OS are you using?
is safe mode working?

Lets try to find the root cause...

Create a new folder in Start/Programs named start2
Move all programs from STARTUP to START2

Reboot, try to run Spybotics

Check the Registry for entries in RUN and RUNSERVICES
What is listed there?

Export both keys to a reg-file and delete the entries in the registry,
reboot, try again.

open the REGfiles with an editor (do not execute them, use SHIFT right mouse
click and choose open with wordpad/notepad). Cut and paste the entries here
or send the REG-files directy to me.

Check your hardware, esp for the com-ports. I am not sure if Spybot software
is designed to handle multiple devices on the same IRQ. Open BIOS setup and
change the settings for COM1 maybe also disable internal on-board modem.

As soon as you have success, report here

Good luck!