 Robotics / RCX / NQC / 420
    Curious problem with download —Pete Johnson
    I just got Mindstorm set, and since I do not have a PC, NQC seemed like a great place to start. I tried Mac NQC and did not get very far downloading the RCX firmware. Every attempt resulted in the IR tower not seeing the RCX. I have a G3 blue and (...) (25 years ago, 27-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

        Re: Curious problem with download —Matthew Wilkins
     (...) downloading (...) I don't see any strange behaviour here; the hinky USB-to-serial interface is going to be your culprit. I had no problems using NQC on my PowerCenterPro (PowerComputing Macintosh clone) with a direct serial interface, but when (...) (25 years ago, 28-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

         Re: Curious problem with download —Pete Johnson
      (...) I would have ascribed it to the USB to serial converter, but I also see this on the Sun with a real serial port. This is what makes me think it's a problem with my RCX or IR tower. Thanks, -Pete P.S. What you are thinking of is the stealth (...) (25 years ago, 28-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

          Re: Curious problem with download —Matthew Wilkins
      (...) Er, no I was thinking of the PCI cards that give up to 4 serial ports; KeySpan used to make them. They were a short PCI card with two or four serial ports, which used a custom extension to route SerialToolBox calls to the 'phantom' serial (...) (25 years ago, 28-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

         Re: Curious problem with download —Dirk-Willem van Gulik
     (...) The iMac, iBook and G4 all work 100% fine with MacNCQ and the Keyspan single port 'PDA' usb/serial adaptor. It just appears in the pull down menu. The keyspan RS422? 'two' ADB style port usb/serial adaptor does not work for me; unless I use a (...) (25 years ago, 28-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

        Re: Curious problem with download —Pete Johnson
   I wanted to follow-up on my first message with more information in the hopes someone can help. I have been having problems with downloading to my RCX. I started trying NQC on a mac and this did not work. I then ported NQC to Solaris and had some (...) (25 years ago, 31-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

        Re: Curious problem with download —Dave Baum
   (...) Offhand, I'd suspect that the problem is either interference from lighting in the room, or perhaps your IR tower is 'marginal'. From your tests so far it doesn't sound like the problem follows either a specific computer or an RCX. Minimize the (...) (25 years ago, 2-Feb-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

        Re: Curious problem with download —Pete Johnson
   (...) Unfortunately, the problem is not ambient light. I was trying this in a dark room at night. The only light source in the room was the monitor. I really think we can rule out the tower since my friends RCX loads with my IR tower just fine, and (...) (25 years ago, 3-Feb-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

        RE: Curious problem with download —Ralph Hempel
     (...) Don't forget that your monitor may also interfere with the download. I've had problems go away when I put the RCX/tower away from the front of my monitor... Cheers, Ralph Hempel - P.Eng ---...--- Check out pbFORTH for LEGO Mindstorms at: (URL) (...) (25 years ago, 3-Feb-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

        Re: Curious problem with download —Dave Baum
   (...) NQC will first attempt to 'ping' the RCX, but if this fails I'm pretty sure it will give up completely. However, each command that is sent is retried several times (with increasing timeouts for each try) until an acknowledgement is heard. Its (...) (25 years ago, 4-Feb-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)