 Robotics / RCX / NQC / 432
Re: Curious problem with download
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc
Date:
Mon, 31 Jan 2000 06:46:16 GMT

I wanted to follow-up on my first message with more information in the hopes
someone can help.

I have been having problems with downloading to my RCX. I started trying NQC on
a mac and this did not work.  I then ported NQC to Solaris and had some initial
success, but there were still some problems (see below). I then borrowed a
friends RCX in an attempt to see if was my RCX or the setup, and his RCX
worked fine with my mac and NQC. His RCX did not work with NQC and my solaris
port.

I then tried my RCX with his PC and the Mindstorm software and everything worked
fine!

Both of our RCXs were purchased in the past two months, but there are some
differences. I was wondering if this could account for the problem.  His
RCS has "RCX 1.0" on one side, and a six digit serial number starting with "1"
on the other side. Also, his has a connector which looks like an AC adaptor.
This is on the side below the motor outputs.

My RCX has "RCX 1.0" on one side and the serial number "455036" on the other.
Also, I have no AC adaptor connector. Both RCXs came with a Mindstorm 1.5 kit.

Has there been a design change introduced recently in the RCX? If so, the new
Mindstorm firmware would recognize both the old and new versions, and the third
party software might not. This would account for the symptoms.

Also, I have tried Kekoa Proudfoot's "send" and "firmdl" programs. The "send"
program seems to work with my RCX and the "firmdl" program does not. Here is
the output I get when I try to download firmware to my RCX using "firmdl".

mode = fast
sendrecv 1:
msglen = 3, echolen = 3
C 0000: fe 10 10
recvlen = 0
status = no response from rcx
msglen = 3, echolen = 3
C 0000: fe 10 10
recvlen = 0
status = no response from rcx
msglen = 3, echolen = 3
C 0000: fe 10 10
recvlen = 0
status = no response from rcx
msglen = 3, echolen = 3
C 0000: fe 10 10
recvlen = 0
status = no response from rcx
msglen = 3, echolen = 3
C 0000: fe 10 10
recvlen = 0
status = no response from rcx
status = no response from rcx
mode = slow
sendrecv 1:
msglen = 7, echolen = 7
C 0000: 55 ff 00 10  ef 10 ef
recvlen = 7
R 0000: 55 ff 00 ef  10 ef 10
status = no error
sendrecv 6:
msglen = 17, echolen = 0
status = bad ir echo
msglen = 17, echolen = 0
status = bad ir echo
msglen = 17, echolen = 0
status = bad ir echo
msglen = 17, echolen = 0
status = bad ir echo
msglen = 17, echolen = 0
status = bad ir echo
status = bad ir echo
./firmdl: delete firmware failed

Thanks for any help you can offer!

-Pete

In lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc, Pete Johnson writes:

I just got Mindstorm set, and since I do not have a PC, NQC seemed like
a great place to start. I tried Mac NQC and did not get very far downloading
the RCX firmware. Every attempt resulted in the IR tower not seeing the RCX.
I have a G3 blue and white and am using a uConnect USB to serial interface
and I suspected that was the problem. So I tried again with my Sun Ultra 5
running Solaris 7. I had the same problem. Then one time when I was downloading
with verbose on, I forgot to turn on the RCX. So I turned it on after starting
the NQC firmware download, and the firmware transfered.

This seems strange. Is this normal? Has anyone seen this before?

Thanks,

-Pete