 Robotics / RCX / NQC / 423
Re: Curious problem with download
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc
Date:
Fri, 28 Jan 2000 01:27:32 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc, Pete Johnson writes:
I don't see any strange behaviour here; the hinky USB-to-serial interface is
going to be your culprit. I had no problems using NQC on my PowerCenterPro
(PowerComputing Macintosh clone) with a direct serial interface, but when I
tried to use a USB-to-Serial adapter (I have a USB card) it just flat
wouldn't work. I traced the problem to a fault in the USB adapter's handoff
of the serial signal. My opinion is that if you were to use a 'native'
serial port (there are PCI cards that will give your Blue'n'White 'real'
serial ports) you would probably be just fine.

I hope that this is of some use for you. If I can remember who makes the PCI
serial cards, I'll post here later.

-Cheese

I would have ascribed it to the USB to serial converter, but I also see this
on the Sun with a real serial port. This is what makes me think it's a problem
with my RCX or IR tower.

Thanks,

-Pete

P.S. What you are thinking of is the stealth serial port for the modem slot.

Er, no I was thinking of the PCI cards that give up to 4 serial ports; KeySpan
used to make them. They were a short PCI card with two or four serial ports,
which used a custom extension to route SerialToolBox calls to the 'phantom'
serial ports. I installed one into a customer's box who wanted to have extra
serial ports after using the two that came built-in her Mac on a printer and
modem (naturally this was before USB).

-Cheese