 Robotics / RCX / NQC / 1735
Re: Swan Firmware
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc
Date:
Tue, 4 Jan 2005 17:56:59 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc, Thomas Jollans wrote:
David Liddell wrote:
I have installed the new Swan Firmware via Brixcc 3.3.7.8 using standard nqc
coding works ok. I'm having problems trying to include any of the new code.
Question 1
How do we use the Swan.nqh file
Question 2
Can we use the new variables defined in the .nqh directly as Brixcc does not
want
to recognise them, I've added swan.nqh as an #include statement.

David Liddell
what is the swan firmware? what have I missed?

Thomas

The Swan firmware is Dick Swan's replacement firmware which is compatible with
the standard LEGO firmware (firm0328.lgo).  The Swan firmware is available at
the link mentioned in this post: http://news.lugnet.com/robotics/?n=23138

(http://drjsoftware.com/Firmware.htm)

You use swan.nqh (available in the zip file containing the test release of
nqc/BricxCC: http://bricxcc.sourceforge.net/swan_test.zip) by using the #include
"swan.nqh" statement.  The file needs to be in a directory on your NQC include
path (see the Preferences dialog, Compiler tab, NQC tab, Include path edit box).

BricxCC has not been updated yet to include the API defined in the swan.nqh file
in its list of keywords, constants, and commands to highlight or list in the
code completion dialogs.  In spite of that you can use the variables/functions
defined in swan.nqh in your NQC programs.  However, the API defined in the
swan.nqh file included in the zip mentioned above is very incomplete and subject
to substantial revision before I release NQC and BricxCC officially.

Hopefully, an official release of NQC and BricxCC with support for Dick Swan's
new firmware will be ready in the next week or so.  Depending on how busy I am
with real life stuff (like re-tiling the shower in the master bathroom and
working my day job) it could be delayed until later this month.

So don't get too attached to the contents of swan.nqh.  The official release
will have the Swan API built into NQC and BricxCC will have updated
documentation to describe it.

John Hansen