 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 3393
  BrickOS installation with WinME and Cygnus problems

Hello, I have spent several hours trying to install BrickOS on my Windows ME system. I am a novice with C/Cygwin/linux, so have been diligently searching the Lugnet posts for clues. That has gotten me a little farther each day, but now I am _really_ (...) (21 years ago, 5-Aug-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: BrickOS installation with WinME and Cygnus problems

(...) PATH=C:\WINDOWS;C:\W...IN\H8300-0 00821\H-I686-CYGWIN32\BIN; (...) OK, the best way to get help is: * Start with the *first* problem which occurs. Problem #3 is very likely the cause of #1 and #2. * Show *exactly* the commands you typed and (...) (21 years ago, 5-Aug-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: BrickOS installation with WinME and Cygnus problems

(...) I would not try to follow both of these instructions. Pick one and do just exactly what that set of instructions says to do. My favorite, naturally, is the second set (since getting the right set of GCC source code and compiling it without (...) (21 years ago, 5-Aug-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: BrickOS installation with WinME and Cygnus problems

[SNIP] (...) [SNIP] Tom, I would follow Max's advice about posting your commands and output here. But one thing that might cause issues with your setup is your path. It looks like the windows dos commands (C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND) come before your cygwin (...) (21 years ago, 5-Aug-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: BrickOS installation with WinME and Cygnus problems

Thanks, Max, John, and Ed for your help. I will try some of the suggestions this afternoon after work. I will also post some more helpful output if someone will remind me how to port Cygwin output to a text file (and DOS output?) I read the command (...) (21 years ago, 6-Aug-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: BrickOS installation with WinME and Cygnus problems

(...) Tom, You can always use the classic pipe to command, >. For example $ make strip > output.txt But I don't think this dumps any error messages to the file; only to the screen. So I would try something similar to the commands in buildgcc.sh, (...) (21 years ago, 6-Aug-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: BrickOS installation with WinME and Cygnus problems

(...) My favorite means of grabbing the commands I type and their output is to set the buffer size of my DOS window to something very large and just select the text with my mouse via click and drag. Then I right click in the DOS window to copy the (...) (21 years ago, 6-Aug-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: BrickOS installation with WinME and Cygnus problems

Ed, John, and Max, (et.al.?), Here's the output from one of my sessions. I started to follow some of John's instructions (got through the make strip alright, even though it's unnecessary), but I didn't want to go too deep until you people see the (...) (21 years ago, 8-Aug-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: BrickOS installation with WinME and Cygnus problems

(...) If you use "./configure && make", then make will only run if ./configure completes successfully. (...) ... (...) This suggests that your compiler is broken. Personally, I have never used the prebuilt compiler from Hitachi, preferring to (...) (21 years ago, 9-Aug-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: BrickOS installation with WinME and Cygnus problems

(...) Max, Here's one of your suggestions, and the cygcheck.out file is in the email (the check is in the mail) ;) Most of this is greek to me; it's been a long time since I've been able to deal with a Unix system. Tom Pugsley ===...=== (...) (21 years ago, 9-Aug-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: BrickOS installation with WinME and Cygnus problems

(...) Odd. I don't understand where that "Permission denied" message came from. What happens if you simply run "less"? Does less work on any files at all? Perhaps you would like to take this to the Cygwin mailing list (cygwin@cygwin.com). (I (...) (21 years ago, 9-Aug-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: BrickOS installation with WinME and Cygnus problems

(...) Tom, Max, I have seen the "Permission Denied" message before. I ussually get this error message after I have done some upgrading Cygwin packages or installling new parts, etc. The best answer I have (and the one I use) is to reinstall Cygwin. (...) (21 years ago, 9-Aug-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: BrickOS installation with WinME and Cygnus problems

(...) I am inclined to agree with Ed. I think your cygwin install is fouled up somehow. Can you check the version of the cygwin1.dll in your cygwin bin directory? I'm running 1.3.12-1 (which is a fairly old version). John Hansen (21 years ago, 11-Aug-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: BrickOS installation with WinME and Cygnus problems

(...) O.K. I will try a re-install of Cygwin, although I have re-installed at least four times previously. As I say, I get a little farther each time. Maybe this time I can find all the packages at one mirror. As Ed does, I also download and install (...) (21 years ago, 12-Aug-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: BrickOS installation with WinME and Cygnus problems

(...) If you download the packages you can install from the previously downloaded packages without ever having to go to a mirror. In theory, at least, you shouldn't have to go back to the web unless you want a newer version of one or more of the (...) (21 years ago, 12-Aug-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: BrickOS installation with WinME and Cygnus problems

.... (...) Hi Tom, I've exactly the same error coming up istalling brickOS 0.2.6.10 or 0.2.6.9 and cygwin 1.3.22 on an WinME machine. If I delete the code in random.c make hangs up at the next file... Did you fix the problem already?? Christoph (21 years ago, 19-Aug-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: BrickOS installation with WinME and Cygnus problems

(...) Christoph, No, I have not yet solved the problem, but I intend to get back on it soon. I've been busy the past week preparing to present a two-day workshop on RCX Code. Now back to BrickOS (if I can get it working). What a change of gears! Let (...) (21 years ago, 19-Aug-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: BrickOS installation with WinME and Cygnus problems

(...) Tom, What is this two-day workshop on RCX code that you mentioned? Ed (21 years ago, 20-Aug-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)