 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 3341
Re: Help with lnp
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Tue, 8 Jul 2003 17:21:54 GMT

Katie Panciera wrote:

In lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, Katie Panciera wrote:

Hello,
I am currently in the middle of a research project using Mindstorms robots.
We are using brickOS and are working on algorithsm for dispersion. One thing
that would be handy to do, however, is be able to record the path the robot
takes and then send it to our computers so that we can analyze it. We are
recording the path in an array in the rcx, but are having problems with lnp.
Thanks,
Katie

We finally decided to take the time and use Linux to try and get lnpd working.
Although we are not familiar with Linux, our professors are helping us. Our main
problem now though is the installation of brickOS. I know this should be an
obvious question, but we can't figure out which software to download. Our Unix
box is running Redhat Linux. If you can help us on this, or give us more hints
on working with lnpd we would appreciate it. We are used to using cygwin.
Thanks,
Katie

So if you don't want to take the time to configure linux, then you can
perhaps try to download legnoppix. Legnoppix is a linux distribution
bootable on CD you don't need any installation and it include all lego
tools available in linux (not really all but lnpd and brickOS) ....

If you really want to use you redhat machine. Then follow this instruction

You'll need le h8300 cross compiler. to compile brickOS program
http://legos.sourceforge.net/files/linux/redhat/ dowload
rcx-binutils-2.9.5.0.22-1.i386.rpm
<http://legos.sourceforge.net/files/linux/redhat/rcx-binutils-2.9.5.0.22-1.i386.rpm>
and rcx-egcs-1.1.2-1.i386.rpm
<http://legos.sourceforge.net/files/linux/redhat/rcx-egcs-1.1.2-1.i386.rpm>
If you will use c++ download rcx-egcs-c++-1.1.2-1.i386.rpm
<http://legos.sourceforge.net/files/linux/redhat/rcx-egcs-c++-1.1.2-1.i386.rpm>
too

To install this file you should run a console and type : rpm -i
"package".rpm replace package by the package you want to install. It's
the mandrake syntaxe but i think it should work on redhat. Else type man
rpm for more information.

When you install it make sure you have gcc install (if not then install it)

download brickos package and uncompress it with the command tar -xvf
brickos.tar.gz (if brickos.tar.gz is the file you've downloaded)
when it's done then type "cd brickos" to go in the brickos directroy and
(follow instruction)
./configure #configure brickos
make #to make "install" brickos
then I think you can make you project as the same way you make it with
cygwin

To install lnpd :
get lnpd package here : http://legos.sourceforge.net/files/linux/LNPD/

and then as brickos : untar it, make it
then you can run lnpd from the lnpd folder.

to run it : type ./lnpd --log=foo
foo will be the file where log is write
you'll perhaps need to install library of liblnp to run your project. To
make it type " cp lnpd+liblnp/libln/liblnp.so /usr/lib && cp
lnpd+liblnp/libln/liblnp.so.0 /usr/lib"

to compile your lnp application just edit the makefile in the
application folder and change "TARGET1" && "SRCS1" as you wish (SRC1 ==
your source name && target the TARGET1 of your software)

That's all. If you have any problem post what was the problem and the
error that it return.

Be aware that legnoppix have all this software installed ....
(http://debian.ipsyn.net/legnoppix/ to download it)

If you are not able to use legnoppix I can help you with it too

nanobapt