 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 3342
Re: Help with lnp
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Tue, 8 Jul 2003 21:55:52 GMT

Hello Katie,

We finally decided to take the time and use Linux to try and get lnpd working.

A good decision.

[...]but we can't figure out which software to download.

To install software on (RedHat) Linux, you will use a program called
rpm. Rpm is a packet manager; it can install new programs, you can ask
rpm if a package is installed, you can update an existing package or
delete obsolete software.

First you should install your RH-Linux complete with the gnu c compiler.

Then, you should find a source for the hitachi cross-compiler. To find a
rpm package, you can use rpmfind.net. Search for "h8300 gcc" and you
will get the following results:

http://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=h8300+gcc&submit=Search+...&system=&arch=

You will need a h8300-gcc package and a h8300-binutils package. The
something.i386.rpm are ready-to use packages (the thing you want), the
something.src.rpm are source packages from which you would have to
compile the actual programs by yourself (which you _really_ don't want
to do!).

Now get the brickOS source package, unpack it, and read the README file.

More help available when needed. :)

Regards,

Michael