 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 3323
Re: Help with lnp
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Tue, 1 Jul 2003 02:36:07 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, Bapt Denaeyer wrote:
Katie Panciera wrote:

Hello,
I am currently in the middle of a research project using Mindstorms robots. We
are using brickOS and are working on algorithsm for dispersion. One thing that
would be handy to do, however, is be able to record the path the robot takes and
then send it to our computers so that we can analyze it. We are recording the
path in an array in the rcx, but are having problems with lnp.
I was trying initially to compile several sample programs from
www.cs.brown.edu/courses/cs148/2003/samples.html and
http://nanobapt.homelinux.com/mindstorms/lnppc.php but am having trouble.
Eventually I figured out that part of my problem is that I didn't have liblnp.h,
but I found that somewhere and downloaded it. I am still coming up with some
problems though. When I compile the program from nanobapt's page it calls one of
the brown programs or says that printf is an implicit declaration. When I
include stdio.h, I get more messages. Basically what happens is that I had to
include a bunch of new header files that I copied from codewarrior such as
ansi_parms, wchar_t, mslGlobal, etc and now there are small errors in wchar_t
and mslGlobal that prevent my code from compiling.
I hope that someone will be able to help me. I am unsure of how well I explained
the problem or what important details I may have left out. I will give you more
information if necessary. I am using cygwin if that makes a difference.
Thanks,
Katie

Hello katie,

Have you read on my page How to comile it ? :)

liblnp.h call function from the lib. You not only need to include this
file ! you need the library !

Download it here : http://legos.sourceforge.net/files/linux/LNPD/
You need to run  lnpd before run your program

Oh I just see that you run under cygwin ! That make a BIG difference !!
LNPD is designed for linux.

So you can eventually download the legnoppix project that allow you to
program RCX under linux without installation.

http://nanobapt.homelinux.com/knx/ <- download it here

nanobapt

Katie,

I am also doing a project which envolves getting information from the RCX using
the BrickOS and Cygwin. I tried the same approach with using the Linux files
but, I found another way to get information.  If your familiar with Java you can
use the a package from Lejos. Since lnp was standardized it can be used with
running java or C/C++ on either side (RCX or PC). So what i'm doing is running C
on the RCX and recieving information with a simple java program. The package is
called  josx.rcxcomm the API is located here

http://lejos.sourceforge.net/apidocs/index.html

The easiest way to use the package is to install Lejos, but you could just
download the windows version and extract the following files:
pcrcxcomm.jar,rcxrcxcomm.jar, irtower.dll

the jar files can be found here:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/lawrie.griffiths/pcrcxcomm.html

and then change your path to point to them that's all you really need.
There is good documentation and examples that come with Lejos that can help you
get started. Good Luck

Chaz