 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 3322
    Modifying the BrickOS source code —Charles Mancinelli
   Hey, My friend and I are tring to modify the BrickOS memmory management for a computer Science senior project. I am trying to help him out with it. We are wondering if anyone can give us some information on how we can edit the source code and then (...) (21 years ago, 1-Jul-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

        Re: Modifying the BrickOS source code —Max Bowsher
     (...) The build system is not particularly complex. $ ./configure $ make You will, of course, have to either build or install prebuilt cross compiler binaries first. Info on the brickOS website, ask here if you run into problems. I'm not quite sure (...) (21 years ago, 1-Jul-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

        Re: Modifying the BrickOS source code —Lester Witter
     (...) If you have installed and built the unmodified BrickOS then you are ready to go. At the very end of the build after you built/instaled the cross compliter and BirckOs source you executed a make command. When you did this you got a whole bunch (...) (21 years ago, 1-Jul-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

        Re: Modifying the BrickOS source code —Michael Obenland
     (...) If he wants to do this, he should better have a good understanding of programming in C and Operation System design. Debugging an OS is a hard job. (...) I am under the impression that you don't have any knowledge of how to handle a UNIX style (...) (21 years ago, 1-Jul-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

         Re: Modifying the BrickOS source code —Charles Mancinelli
     (...) This is my friend writing this time becuase he lost his user info for lugent and is trying to become a member but he hasnt gotten an email back from the system so he is having me do the asking: Thanks for the help guys. I am going to edit a (...) (21 years ago, 2-Jul-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

         Re: Modifying the BrickOS source code —Mark Riley
      (...) Actually, you don't need to do all that. For the last few versions of BrickOS, things are different. The first time you install BrickOS, you: $ cd /brickos-0.2.6.10 $ configure $ make If everything has been installed correctly, you will find a (...) (21 years ago, 2-Jul-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

         Re: Modifying the BrickOS source code —Michael Obenland
     (...) But remember that changes in the brickOS files and therefore in the resulting brickOS code will allmost certainly crash the user programs. With every new brickOS version you must recompile the user programs that should run on the brick. (...) (21 years ago, 4-Jul-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

        Re: Modifying the BrickOS source code —Michael Martelli
   Thanks to all with the help, I finally got my new News setup info (my original login wasnt working so I had to re-sign up but it took about 2 weeks to hear from lugnet, so Charlie posted some stuff for me). I am looking at mm.c for my project and I (...) (21 years ago, 15-Jul-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

        Re: Modifying the BrickOS source code —Joseph Woolley
   Mike, IIRC, mm_start is the beginning of the heap. When the system or a user program requests memory (new in C++ or malloc/calloc in C) the memory is taken from this block (from mm_start to the end of memory) What might be confusing is how the (...) (21 years ago, 15-Jul-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

        Re: Modifying the BrickOS source code —Michael Martelli
   (...) Thanks for the description Joe, but in the above paragraph you seem to contradict yourself, you say that mm_start is the end of kernel mode, but alos that user programs are located above mm_start I do not understand that part, did you mean (...) (21 years ago, 15-Jul-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

        Re: Modifying the BrickOS source code —Joseph Woolley
   Here is a visual representation: [ KERNEL ]mm_start[ HEAP ] The heap will contain ALL of the following: User Programs, User Allocated memory, Kernel allocated memory (not including static/global variables and constants). The only thing that is prior (...) (21 years ago, 15-Jul-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

        Re: Modifying the BrickOS source code —Michael Martelli
   Thanks Joe, it makes sense now and I understand it is something that is difficutl to explain esp, through a message board. Thanks for helping me out... Mike (21 years ago, 15-Jul-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)