 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 2474
Re: Makefile patch
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Thu, 18 Apr 2002 17:33:14 GMT

Well, after a fairly frustrating couple of days, I was finally able to build
legOS-0.2.5 yesterday evening.  I will get to the details in a minute.

The whole experience made me question the stability of Cygwin/GCC.
Basically, I tried at least 3 different versions of binutils (most of which
did compile) and 3 different version of gcc (none of which compiled without
error).

I was very happy to find a precompiled (binutils/gcc) tool set on the
hitachi web site!  Available at:
http://semiconductor.hitachi.com/tools/software_downloads.html
The file is actually:
http://semiconductor.hitachi.com/tools/2000r1_i686-cygwin32-x-h8300-hms.zip

Now this morning, I see http://news.lugnet.com/robotics/rcx/legos/?n=2470.
Apparently some compile error(s) encountered in building gcc don't effect
the portions of gcc needed to build legOS.  I may have been frustrated for
no good reason  8-)

I was however, not able to use util/dll to send a program to the RCX last
night, so further investigation is needed.

<details>
Win2k, Cygwin (latest version... reinstalled yesterday), h8300 toolchain
downloaded from Hitachi's web site (prebuilt executables for Cygwin)

I installed Cygwin (selected all packages, then removed a couple I knew I
would not need... like Mail.)

1)  Installed (decompressed) the h8300 tools.
2)  set the PATH to the tool directory.
3)  Installed legOS-0.2.5
4)  Changed Makefile.? to use gcc instead of gccw32  (gcc.exe included in
tools)
5)  executed the following:
    make realclean
    rm boot/.depend
    make
6)  encountered errors with the new .depend file created during the build...
so I had to execute:
    tr -d '\15\32' < boot/.depend > boot/.depend
    // NOTE: This will strip the ^M and ^Z from the file (dos to unix text)
7)  executed:
    make
8)  encountered errors concerning inproper use of void for motor_x_speed and
motor_x_direction calls in dmotor.c and dmotor.h   I fixed that error by
removing the const specifier in front of the func. decl. then:
    make
    util/firmdl3 boot/legOS.srec

That is as far as I was able to get.  It was already 1:30am  8-)
</details>

I hope others attempting to build legOS on Cygwin will benefit from this
information.  (I guess I would rather download the prebuilt tools as opposed
to building them...)  My concern is the errors I encountered at steps 7&8.
I guess I am wondering how often the hitachi site gets updated with new gcc
builds.

// Joe

Max:  Did you get any compile errors?  You said "built and worked fine for
me."  I am only asking since I had so many attempts end with compile
errors... even unmodified GNU releases.
<dreaming>I am hoping that we can get a solid setup that works for everyone
8-) </dreaming>

"Max Bowsher" <maxb@ukf.net> wrote in message
Kingsley Gifford <kgifford@thezone.net> wrote:
As for the script, all I get is Building h8x tools from
/lego-ms/binutils-20011002-1 and gcc-2.95.3-5 which according to the
script, seems to be what would happen anyway because of the "exit 4":
Ooops. Forgot to remove that before I sent it to you. Delete that line.

does any of this make sense?
Well, I wrote the script, so I guess it makes sense to me.

I'm assuming that even if I did get the patch working I would be no
better off since make ALL_TARGET_MODULES="" doesn't work.
True... BUT:

You are using the cygwin versions of binutils and gcc. I don't know why, • and
don't have the skills to analyse in detail, but I couldn't build those • either. I
used unmodified GNU releases, binutils-2.12 and gcc-2.95.3 (no -5 suffix). • Those
built and worked fine for me.

Max.