 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 2470
Re: Release candidate legos-0.2.5.2 avail for testing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Thu, 18 Apr 2002 07:01:27 GMT

My test results as first time cygwin/legos user on Windows sytem.

Environment:
  Windows XP Version 5.1.2600
  Serial IR tower on COM2:

Following INSTALL-cygwin.html:
  Cygwin installed from www.cygwin.com using setup.exe and internet
  install as shown in Step 1.  And selecting specified set of packages
  (also shown in step 1.)  cygcheck -c shows: cygwin 1.3.10-1

  made the build directory
  downloaded the gcc and binutils tar.gz files as described
  along with the build script.
  Ran the build script.  It failed. "can't find stdio.h or  sys/types.h -
  at build of choose-temp.o
  Ignored this and went on...

  downloaded legos-0.2.5.2 + latest in CVS (paolo applied Makefile.common,
  lnp.c changes as reported earlier)
  unpacked it and ran 'make depend' which failed
   (util/Makefile.common also needs WinXP mods (CYGWIN_5.1)...
    [This is now corrected in CVS!]

  After Makefile.common fix 'make depend' worked.
  'make' then worked without error.

  Step 4 is no longer needed.
  downloaded legos.srec fast/slow both worked.
  downloaded apps C/C++: all tested, worked.
  compiling C and C++ worked (demo and demo/c++ dirs build automatically)

Here are the observations/repairs we should make:
Paolo want me to update INSTALL-cygwin.sgml?  If you want to, this
should be a concise list dealing with all but images.  They are
close enough that, IMHO, you need not update them.

INSTALL doc needs:
------------------
0. update doc version and date updated
1. update header and title to reflect new legOS version and
     Windows versions supported:   legOS 0.2.6  Win9x/WinNT/Win2k/WinXP
2. Luis and Paolo email addressed need updating?
3. Add new platforms we've tested on
4. in Step 1 change cygwin ver and URL to site, and install now URL.
5. change 1.1 dir names to 1.3 (using ver allows side by side install of
     different cygwin versions)
6. in Step 2. FIX URL for binutils... ftp is spelled fpt
7. in step 2. add unzip of downloaded build scripts
8. also describe ending error of build with more detail?
9. in Step 3. update the legOS version number and download URL in many
     places.
10. Remove Step 4.
11. in Step 5. add version number to legOS dir name (legOS-0.2.6)
12. in Step 5. SET DEFAULTTTY is wrong twice: set should be 'export'
     and DEFAULTTTY should be RCXTTY.
13. update dates at bottom of doc.

legOS-0.2.5.2+CVS needs
-----------------------
1. fix util/Makefile.common (done)
2. make realclean does NOT remove util/dll-src/.depend
   (fix util/dll-src/Makefile (done))
3. bumped version strings in files to 0.2.5.3 (it's quick to do)
4. posted new legos-0.2.5.3.tar.gz to tmpdist site...

This completes my testing of WindowsXP/Cygwin 1.3.10.
As of legos-0.2.5.3.tar.gz  Windows XP should work without
Makefile mods or make-command-line overides of OSTYPE.

If your results differ please let me know since I now have a working
WindowsXP environment...  (I also have a fully working Debian GNU/Linux
environment.)

Regards,
Stephen  member of legOS team