 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 2228
Re: More on threads
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Sat, 19 Jan 2002 18:53:34 GMT

mike mcfarlane wrote:

The main task won't get any time slice at all.

NO time slice or just a very small chunk of time?

Digging through tm.c gave me the impression, that main will indeed get no
time slice. So I wrote another test program:

#include <conio.h>
#include <unistd.h>

pid_t worker;

int work_task(int argc, char *argv[]);

int main()
{
int i;

   i = 0;
   worker = execi( work_task, 0, NULL, PRIO_NORMAL+4, DEFAULT_STACK_SIZE);
   while( 1 ) {
      lcd_int( i++ );
      msleep( 10 );
   }
   return 0;
}

int work_task (int argc, char *argv[])
{
   while( 1 )
      ;
   return 0;
}

I get the "0", no further counting for some minutes. So I think that in
this situation, main indeed gets no more time slices.

Also, what priority does this mean main() has?

If you look in kmain.c you see that main is execi-ed with PRIO_NORMAL.

[...] just call one of my threads from main() and let it run as an
infinite loop, ie, it will never return to main(), so main() can never
exit.

So the called thread is not a thread anymore but a subroutine.

The best thing to get some knowledge of legOS is to dig through the
sources, even if one doesn't understand the whole thing ( I don't
understand the whole thing... ). Good books are the Andrew Tannenbaum books
on operation system design. Or Douglas Comer's book.

Mike