 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 2163
Re: legOS on Mac OS X
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Tue, 4 Dec 2001 02:25:11 GMT

In article <GnsDF5.Fso@lugnet.com>, "Seb Nash" <s.c.nash@dur.ac.uk>
wrote:

In lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, Dave Baum writes:

If you are using a Keyspan USB/serial adapter, then firmdl and other
utils should work just fine since the Keyspan driver makes a /dev entry
that is a fairly standard tty device.  Only problem I've seen is that
tcdrain() hangs - can't tell if its a kernel problem or driver problem.

Dave, first thank you for NQC and its Mac support. If only its collegues
weren't such a headache!  I am using a serial tower with a Keyspan
adapter
and the setup works great for NQC following your readme file. I had been
wondering though, what's the difference between cu.KeyUSA19* and
tty.KeyUSA19* created in /dev? I've built TinyVM on my machine but it
can't
seem to access the tower. I've set it to use cu.KeyUSA19 as in NQC. Do
you
think this might be the problem? Just curious. I'm concentrating on legOS
right now but I thought that I might have the same problem if I ever get
it
to work.

If I remember correctly, the tty devices will block in open() until they
see some handshake (perhaps DCD) from the other side, while cu devices
open right away and ignore handshake.

I'd suggest taking a look at the code that initializes the serial port
for TinyVM.  It could be that the code isn't specifying all of the
necessary options, and perhaps on other systems the defaults for those
options happen to work fine but under OS X the defaults are different.
Also, comment out any calls to tcdrain() since they seem to hang.

Dave

--
reply to: dbaum at enteract dot com