 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 2156
Re: legOS on Mac OS X
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Sun, 2 Dec 2001 15:49:30 GMT

ROSCO,

I realise that would indeed be helpful! Didn't want a long and boring first
post however...

I've basically having a problem bulding gcc as a cross compiler. I started
with the legOS HOWTO pages at http://legos.sourceforge.net/HOWTO . There it
suggests using binutils-2.9.1 and egcs-1.1.2. I couldn't get either to build
(I am right in thinking powerpc-darwin hosts wouldn't have been supported?),
so I've been trying some newer versions. I'm fairly sure I've convinced
binutils-2.11 to build successfuly.

GCC is another matter. All of the many attempts have failed. I've been
reading the supported platforms pages at http://gcc.gnu.org .It seems that
Darwin won't be supported 'till version 3.1. Is there any hope for me?

Darwin does ship with its own version of gcc, renamed to cc (at the moment I
have a sym link gcc -> cc, which has delt with everything perfectly). I was
thinking that if all else fails I may need to get the source and rebuild cc
as a cross compiler.

No doubt all the errors above tell you I'm a newbie who finds himself in at
the deep end and doesn't completely understand what he's taking about. It
has been a long frastrating month now with not much to show for it. Any
advice, teachings or questions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Seb.

In lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, Ross Crawford writes:
In lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, Seb Nash writes:
Has anyone successfully installed legOS on Mac OS X? The OS
has a FreeBSD UNIX-based layer, called Darwin, so I've heard that
it shouldn't be too hard. Only, I'm finding that it is...

My UNIX experience isn't vast, so I feel like I've tried everything. I
haven't come across any help anywhere else, please help! This is
for my graduate project!

Seb,

It would help if you posted info about what you've tried, and what the results
were. I don't use OS X, but I know a lot about FreeBSD, which by most accounts
is fairly close to Darwin. I suspect a few others here know even more 8?)

Regards

ROSCO