 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 2159
Re: legOS on Mac OS X
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Mon, 3 Dec 2001 00:50:53 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, Ross Crawford writes:

(most likely) make changes to firmdl & dll programs to get them working with
the Mac. Do you have a serial or USB IR tower? The support for USB is still in
it's infancy (is anyone actually using it?).

You mean USB on Mac OS X, or the USB tower specifically on any platform?

You are really screwed if you need a serial driver on OS X. Since no serial
hardware exists on post-98 Apple machines, OS X omits the legacy serial
driver APIs. USB is the way to go. (Yes there are serial-to-USB adapters but...)

I don't have any Mindstorms stuff myself. I am working with a 3rd party USB
joystick on OS X and I know this much:

Seb:

Look at the HID toolkit on OS X. It graduated from beta a few months ago. It
was billed as the toolkit to use for mice and joysticks, like Game Sprocket
was on OS 9.  However, some use it to interface laboratory equipment that
used to have a serial interface but now has USB. Maybe that's appropriate
for the USB Tower, I dunno, if we keep up this chat I may go out and buy one
just to see.

Just email me, I'm available for free advice, but if I get sucked into one
more hobby like robotics it will be too much!

Here are a few articles from Apple.

Devices and Hardware: HID Manager: HID Utilities Source
<http://developer.apple.com/samplecode/Sample_Code/Devices_and_Hardware/HID_Manager/HID_Utilities_Source.htm>

Devices and Hardware: HID Manager: HID Config Save
<http://developer.apple.com/samplecode/Sample_Code/Devices_and_Hardware/HID_Manager/HID_Config_Save.htm>

Devices and Hardware: HID Manager: HID Explorer
<http://developer.apple.com/samplecode/Sample_Code/Devices_and_Hardware/HID_Manager/HID_Explorer.htm>