 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 2160
Re: legOS on Mac OS X
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Mon, 3 Dec 2001 02:32:18 GMT

In article <GnqMqr.2w3@lugnet.com>, "Ross Crawford" <rcrawford@csi.com>
wrote:

Looks like you're probably the first to try this, so good luck! But if
the
Darwin version of cc can be built to support the h8, you're still gonna
have to
(most likely) make changes to firmdl & dll programs to get them working
with
the Mac. Do you have a serial or USB IR tower? The support for USB is
still in
it's infancy (is anyone actually using it?).

I was able to get NQC working with the USB tower under Mac OS X pretty
easily.  IMHO, support for an application to directly access USB devices
is pretty good.  If anyone is trying this, feel free to grab the OSX/USB
code I wrote for NQC (currently in the beta test area of
http://www.enteract.com/~dbaum/nqc/index.html) - you'll probably only
need some cut/paste from rcxlib/RCX_USBTowerPipe_osx.cpp, but feel free
to use the entire RCX_Pipe abstraction if it makes life easier (its how
serial vs. USB is abstracted for NQC).

If you are using a Keyspan USB/serial adapter, then firmdl and other
utils should work just fine since the Keyspan driver makes a /dev entry
that is a fairly standard tty device.  Only problem I've seen is that
tcdrain() hangs - can't tell if its a kernel problem or driver problem.

One potential problem for gcc/h8 is that last time I tried this (under
LinuxPPC) I got bit by the fact that under PPC gcc assumes chars are
unsigned, while almost every other host environment assumes signed.
Simple compiler switch to fix it.  This may or may not be a problem with
Darwin.  Here's my original post on the signed/unsigned thing
http://www.lugnet.com/robotics/rcx/legos/?n=1111

Dave

--
reply to: dbaum at enteract dot com