 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 11
  PDF (was Re: legOS docs - what do people want?)

More than a few people have emailed me already telling me that PDF is not the way to go because it will limit who can contribute to it (thank you to those people, by the way, for keeping such comments to email rather than cluttering the newsgroup (...) (26 years ago, 20-Feb-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: PDF (was Re: legOS docs - what do people want?)

(...) Unfortunately, I don't have any facilities to download the entire contents of a web site. So I would rquire somebody to tar and gzip the html files in the documentation subtree at the legos site and send it to me for conversion. (Now before I (...) (26 years ago, 20-Feb-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: PDF (was Re: legOS docs - what do people want?)

(...) I _can_ read PDF files, but I would discourage making it the form that docs are released in. I find reading PDFs to be a painful experience. My display is only 1024x768, and at that resolution, reading the output of any page description (...) (26 years ago, 20-Feb-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: PDF (was Re: legOS docs - what do people want?)

(...) Ahh, but this specialized newsgroup -is- for cluttering up :) with comments of that nature -- as long as things remain on-topic to legOS and still helpful to Markus and comrades. (...) It costs money? Bummer. So only the viewer is free then? (...) (26 years ago, 20-Feb-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: PDF (was Re: legOS docs - what do people want?)

(...) a web site. So (...) subtree at the (...) This is exactly the reason I would prefer a PDF version of the document. You can get the entire document in one shot. For printing, I like PDF much better than TeX. It has free viewers for Macs, (...) (26 years ago, 21-Feb-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: PDF (was Re: legOS docs - what do people want?)

(...) PDP-11? FreeBSD, Solaris, XENIX, other flavors of Unix? NT, presumably. Win 3.1? DOS? Apple ]['s? Just some off-the-top of my head paltforms, that i somehow doubt are _all_ supported... Jasper (26 years ago, 21-Feb-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: PDF (was Re: legOS docs - what do people want?)

I like the pdf format. I have no trouble reading it either on my laptop (800X600) or on this machine (1280X1024). I use the "fit width" option, and have never seen the text be "too small" in either case. It is becoming commonplace in the industry, I (...) (26 years ago, 22-Feb-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: PDF (was Re: legOS docs - what do people want?)

Well as long as there is an html version I don't care. I still think pdf is a pain to read because it doesn't scroll well. (26 years ago, 22-Feb-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: PDF (was Re: legOS docs - what do people want?)

(...) Well what about ONE html file. Nobody ever said you had to fragment html files. Or whatabout a group but zipped or tar.gzed (26 years ago, 22-Feb-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: PDF (was Re: legOS docs - what do people want?)

Hello. The API documentation tool I use can generate HTML, LaTeX and manpages. Unless Dimiti expands its capabilities to also generate PDF - or somebody points me to a better tool and volunteers to convert the sources that exist already - HTML (...) (26 years ago, 23-Feb-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: PDF (was Re: legOS docs - what do people want?)

It's Doxygen. (URL) doc++ is also a viable alternative, but I've used doxygen before in Qt-based projects, where it is clearly superior. (26 years ago, 23-Feb-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: PDF (was Re: legOS docs - what do people want?)

Well, I've waited and waited, but nobody has volunteered to send me the existing docs to convert to PDF. I'm afraid I don't have the facilities myself to download the entire documentation tree at the LegOS site. I thought that freely offering my (...) (26 years ago, 24-Feb-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: PDF (was Re: legOS docs - what do people want?)

(...) Hmm... Well, I think it was only earlier today that Markus officially gave his blessing on conversions to other formats (not that we thought he wouldn't, but it seems fair to wait and see for sure). So going by what Markus wrote here: (URL) (...) (26 years ago, 24-Feb-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: PDF (was Re: legOS docs - what do people want?)

(...) Thank you Todd. I'll work on it tonight and email the pdf back to you sometime tomorrow. (...) (26 years ago, 24-Feb-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: PDF (was Re: legOS docs - what do people want?)

(...) I'm not sure I'd know what to do with it. I'd be happy to see how it looks on my system, but I think Markus is the destination you want, since he'll be the one hosting it (I assume). --Todd (26 years ago, 24-Feb-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)