 Robotics / RCX / 1947
    constant green light —Pat LaVarre
   --- Titled & posted by me for Kekoa Proudfoot About the tower's constant green light in XP, is this problem seen by everybody using XP? --- End Post (Kekoa's not now able to receive authentication email) (21 years ago, 6-Feb-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

        Re: constant green light —Pat LaVarre
     (...) I don't have this answer, but I can elaborate the question in Two ways: 1) For fear of being mistaken for spam, I chose not to reuse the n=1918 Subject "green light to win". 2) The three fragments of my report of a constant green light in Win (...) (21 years ago, 6-Feb-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

         Re: constant green light —Pat LaVarre
     (...) By now I have two more clues: 1) Not only does powering down the PC or booting Linux turn the light Off, but so likewise does a Windows Hibernate. 2) Leaving the port open and unused turns the light Off only until I try a Windows Suspend. (...) (21 years ago, 21-Feb-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

         Re: constant green light —John Hansen
     (...) That the light stays on during Windows Suspend suggests to me that it has something to do with the power management features of your laptop. Try temporarily turning off the power management option and see if the tower behaves differently. I (...) (21 years ago, 22-Feb-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

         Re: constant green light —Pat LaVarre
     In summary, I think now we say: Anyone interested enough to go see if their Win XP experience matches with/ differs from mine? Me, I've been reporting Yes Yes Yes in reply to the Three point quiz: Q1) Does your serial/IR tower green light shine (...) (21 years ago, 23-Feb-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

         Re: constant green light —John Hansen
     (...) Any word on whether you have discovered that the power management settings of the OS have any effect on the geen light situation? I haven't had a chance to play with my serial tower on my XP desktop PC yet. John Hansen (21 years ago, 26-Feb-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

         Re: constant green light —Pat LaVarre
     (...) As yet, me, re my Serial/IR Tower Green LED being stuck On, I know very little coherent & new. a) I did try searching for the word "green" in: (URL) results seemingly confirm that "everyone knows" the green LED should light only when used. b) (...) (21 years ago, 26-Feb-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

         Re: constant green light —Brian H. Nielsen
     (...) I had the opposite problem. It worked fine, but whenever I powered off my system the green light came on and stayed on. (2 URLs) I never did figure out the problem. Now I have a USB tower, and that works fine (plus no batteries needed). Brian (...) (21 years ago, 27-Feb-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

         Re: constant green light —John Hansen
     (...) That's interesting. On my new XP eMachine PC we have noticed that when we shutdown (and it powers off the PC) that we have to switch the power switch on the power strip that our computer plugs into or it will sometimes hold our phone line open (...) (21 years ago, 27-Feb-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

        Re: constant green light —Jerry Kalpin
   Just yesterday I reinstalled my serial IR Tower on a Win 98 machine and had the green light stay on all the time. It turned out to be an issue of 'port confusion'. When I switched ports (put the tower on COM1 and the other device on COM2) the (...) (21 years ago, 22-Feb-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

        Re: constant green light —Pat LaVarre
   Hello I'm baaaack in this thread, and I'm now carrying my 1.5 serial IR/tower with me always, though not my RCX. Anybody yet have a theory to explain what's going on? (...) To check my tower, I tried substituting a Win XP desktop PC for my Win XP (...) (21 years ago, 5-Mar-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)