 Robotics / RCX / 1845
Re: Motor Control Register (0xf000)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Thu, 14 Nov 2002 09:34:01 GMT

"Mark Riley" <markril@hotmail.com> writes:

It also turns out that there are 8 bytes of external
RAM that peek through at addresses 0xff80-0xff87.
Writes to these locations also affect the motor
control register.  I suppose there's a small advantage
in using these registers to control the motor since
accesses to these locations can use the processor's
8 bit addressing modes.  And, because of the
"shadowing" by the RAM, the various bit instructions
seem to work fine.  I bet the H8 designers left this
little hole just so these instructions could be used
on external devices.

In that case, why didn't the RCX designers use an 8 input NAND
to decode their addresses, to leave more of the RAM usable?
Maybe there werent aware of this possibility?

Jürgen

--
Jürgen Stuber <stuber@loria.fr>
http://www.loria.fr/~stuber/