 Robotics / RCX / 1166
Re: light sensor multiplexer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Fri, 30 Mar 2001 19:27:41 GMT

Hello to every one....
all the time I was promising to put up ckt Digram
for time being I have included hand drawn Ckt
visit
http://www.geocities.com/mindsensors

FET I am using are low thereshold FETs

In lugnet.robotics.rcx, Stef Mientki writes:
Hi Nitin,

thanks for your information.
You know, by asking questions, you'll get the answers often from yourself. Just when I posted the question to you, Eureka. But let's be fair, you were the one who triggered me.
I've adapted (without the power reduction) the zener diode and it works fine and saves energy.
I've to do some little programming and I've still plans to post my sensor multiplexer this week.
I'll stay currious about your design, maybe it contains some other nice tricks.

Nitin Patil wrote:

Hi Stef,
sorry for little late.
What I am doing is that I need to get the voltahge down and most efficient
way of doing that without losing swing ( if you divide you lose swing too)
is level shift it and you can do it by putting by Zener. I need levels of 0
V to 2.5V. you can solve your problem by using lower Vcc for your CMOS
devices. this will get you lower hi/low levels.
I am using PIC  for logic. which is much more flexible that counter, but
that is not a bigger problem.

I was thinking of drawing th ckt in CAD and post it but I think I will just
scan it and post it .
regards.
Nitin

In lugnet.robotics.rcx, Stef Mientki writes:
hi Nitin,

I'm an energy freak to, but I can't follow your reasoning
Because I'm building a multiplexer too (probably will be posted next week, so I can make still some changes) and I'm using even lower resistor values then Michael (due to a transistor inverter) I'm very interested in your design.

Nitin Patil wrote:

In lugnet.robotics.rcx, Michael Gasperi writes:
Ok I agree what you say about time constant of your RC
But still by using such low resistance you are wasting power. almost 1.5 mA
is flowing through this 4.7K.
you can keep RC constant and increase R that should improve performance.
what I do is I have 5.2V zener in series with 120Kand 10pF this takes
current of 40MicroAmp.

Using CMOS IC's, feeding it from 7 Volt (NiCd cells), you have to switch the output (for a reliable operation) at least from 7V-1.5V=5.5V downto 1.5V, resulting in a swing of 4 Volt.
Using a zener of 5V2, the maximum swing you get is 1.8 Volt in a totally wrong region.
What am I missing ?

"Nitin Patil" <gn1721@lycos.com> wrote in message

Also what I did not like in your desigh is 4.7K resistor. which changes
reading in measure  cycle.

With the 0.1uF in parallel with the 4.7K, the voltage on the clock circuit
is still above the measurement voltage during the normal read interval.  It
doesn't effect the reading because the diodes are reverse biased.  The 4.7K
only comes into play when the power is cut by switching to passive.  Then
the capacitor is discharged by it down to where it would effect the reading,
but your not reading it then.

--

met vriendelijke groet,

Stef Mientki