 Robotics / RCX / 1123
Re: light sensor multiplexer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Tue, 20 Mar 2001 22:19:08 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx, Nitin Patil writes:
Hi Rainer

What I do is that switch the power to silected sensor only I do it by using
FET. since there is not enough power for all sensors.
so when you switch to sensor 2 other sensors are kept off.
there is enough power for one sensor since my circuit takes only 500 microAmp.
which is around 4%of total power.
I have more details ( see in specification/ some no that can give you idea
of power)   on www.geocities.com/mindsensors
and I am composing more on circuit to add. once that is done I will put it up

Hi Nitin,

okay, I see.
Sorry, but then your circuit isn't interesting for me.
I thought about using Sharp GP2D12 with it, but that won't work.
First the Sharps have a current consumption of about 33mA up to 50mA max.
Second the Sharps need (see Datasheet) 38,3ms +/- 9,6ms till first
measurement plus 5ms from first measurement to first output. (worst case 52,9ms)
-> 10ms + 30 ms + 50 ms + 3* 53ms = 249ms per cycle. -> 4 cycles per second
when turning of the sharps between measurments :(
That's why I'll prefer the solution of Michael Gasperi.
(I build it, look here : http://www.informatik.fh-hamburg.de/~lego )

Never the less it's a great work you offer.

Rainer

P.S.: I asked a friend of mine to layer and route the Gasperi circuit I
introduced above with surface mounted devices. (maybe with 9 inputs) I'll
post success here (will take some weeks (month ? years ? decades ?
millenniums ?)). So perhaps a little series if someone interested ?!?