 Robotics / Handy Board / 8605
Re: Sensor Connector
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Wed, 6 Feb 2002 18:54:39 GMT

I've bought some lego electric plates (part 5037) from lego.com, and they
seem to be withstanding the heat of a soldering iorn quite well (that was my
fear... that I would turn them into bubbling messes).  Actually they're
holding up better than the male header pins I'm using to connect them to the
HB (mybe I need to buy better ones).  Here's what I've done so far:

The 8x2 electric plates have metal connecting all the pegs on one side of
the plate.  I've used a dremel tool to cut the electric plating every 2 pegs
(apparently all/most lego motors/sensor only have 2 wires).  Make sure you
use a volt meter to determine that your cut is successful, otherwise the
first time you have 1 motor going forward, and one going back you will have
smoke!

I then took some wire (for me ribbon cable from the numerous floppy/hard
drive cables I've collected over the years (not quite the easiest stuff to
work with.. a little to thin), seperated them into pairs, and soldered one
wire to each "side" of the electric plate.  I then soldered the other end to
a male header pin (mine melt quickly, so be careful)

I made a notch in the side of the electric plate to let the wires out.  It
seems 2 can easily leave from 1 side, but not 4, so I'll probably have 2
sets of wires coming out of each side.

Now how to attach it?  Still working on this one.  You can't put legos on
the bottom of the plate anymore, cause it's filled with wires/solder.  I
didn't want to glue them to the HB, because I may make a non-lego robot at
some time.I'm thinking about supergluing some connector pegs to back of the
plate, so I can securely attach it to a beam with holes, or even to the HB
itself, if I drill the proper sized hole.

Hope that helps.  I'm still working through this myself.

Sam

"Brendan O'Hare" <brendan_oh@hotmail.com> wrote in message
I currently have lego motors and wires that I have used with the RCX but • now
Im using the Handy Board. The book explains how to connect the motor to • the
handy board by connecting a wire to a sensor connector but it doesnt state
where to get such a connector or how to make one. The connector is a three
fingered device that fits into the board's sockets. Does anyone know where • I
could buy some connector or preferably what I should use to make one.
Thanks.