 Robotics / 9937
RE: Do I want a micromotor?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 11 Jan 2000 06:25:01 GMT

The micromotor is much smaller - not much bigger than a 2x2 brick. It's
geared down a lot, and it's output turns very slowly. I estimate it at about
1 turn per second (60 rpm). You could use it for positioning (moving an arm
or a lever) where you don't have enough space for the larger motor. Don't
try to use it for driving something. That's better left to the bigger
motors.

In the famous Space Shuttle set, a MicroMotor is used in the satellite to
open and close it's solar panels. It opens and closes the panels in about 15
seconds.

Some people have reported that it easily jams if not used properly.

Tilman