 Robotics / 10122
Re: Do I want a micromotor?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 17 Jan 2000 17:39:15 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, David C. Pyatt writes:
How much can be done with this little motor?  Would it be a
valuable investment for our Mindstorms RIS?

I've made an electrically activated pneumatic switcher with a micromotor, and a
3:1 gear ratio.  It's not quite perfect, it could probably use a higher gear
reduction (or maybe just fresh batteries) but it's pretty small (6w X 5d X 5h)
and could probably be made a bit smaller.  It's also a lot lighter than a
regular motor based switch.

The micromotor would also be good for moving sensors (scanning light sensor,
retractible touch sensors, etc.) although I haven't actually used it that
way...

phil