 Robotics / 10063
Re: Do I want a micromotor?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 14 Jan 2000 16:47:52 GMT

On Wed, 12 Jan 2000, Rebel Transcanner wrote:

What I'd like to know is how they fit the gearing inside of that tiny, tiny
case... Anyone taken one appart? (^:

I took one apart, which was terminally jammed since the day I got it.  The
gears are extrememly tiny (nylon gears with teeth maybe the thickness of
1-2 human hairs), and are made in such a way that an outer gear surrounds
the inner gears (I think it's called a planetary gear setup, but somebody
correct me if I'm wrong).  The gears are so tiny and made of soft nylon
that it is very easy to unmesh them and jam them, and also the inner gears
have a moving axis of rotation, which adds too much freeplay IMO, and
contributes to jamming.
Once I took apart the micromotor and remeshed the gears, and put the thing
back together, the motor started working again.

Cheers,
Henry C.
*            TAS: Physics         89 CR-X dx              *
*  Email: hchea@ramapo.edu       OR OneTimeCRX@aol.com    *
*                OR OneTimeCRX@hotmail.com                *