 Robotics / 10121
Re: Sending RCX message using the PC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 17 Jan 2000 16:52:24 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Denis Cousineau writes:
Hi,

I've seen in Dan Baum's book that the PC can be used to send
messages (as if it was itself a RCX) to other RCX.
Does anyone knows the procedure? Please send details
so that I can myself program this.  If you have code lines,
that's even better (whatever the language).

Ultimately, I would like to make the smallest .exe that would
use one number on the command line and send this number as
a message to RCX present in the range of the IR tower.

Thanks for the help,
It is very simple, but also I am having some strangenesses with it...
The syntax is a simple sequence of bytes as follows:-
55 FF 00 F7 08 XX ~XX CC ~CC
Where XX is the message number, ~XX is this inverted (XORed with FF), and CC
is the sum of F7 and XX, and ~CC is this again inverted. I have found this
works with standard Mindstorms software, and agrees with the version given on
the web. However I have also found that a unit programmed with one Robolab
variant I have here in the UK, does not accept this, but requires the Checksum
bytes to be in the reverse order!. This proved odd for me (typically it was
the first unit I tried it with), but also this unit won't accept messages from
another Mindstorm using the standard software. It appears there may be two
message variants (anyone else seen this?).
The serial format is 2400bps, 8 bits 1 stop, odd parity. I have code in 'PIC'
format to drive this, but nothing for the PC.

Best Wishes