 Robotics / 8367
Re: Window CE Support for the Mindstorm Unit
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 19 Nov 1999 14:32:48 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, lego-robotics@crynwr.com writes:
As an interesting turn of fate, I was given the chance to get a HP Jornada
430se or a Handspring Visor.

I know there is support for Palm OS, but what about CE?

I really haven't messed with a CE device and not sure if I am "allowed" to
get the Spirit.ocx into the PDA.

I must say the 16bit color makes the HP far more of an asset than the Visor,
plus 16 MB of ram and the 133 processor.

Any suggestions?
Clint Rutkas AKA KGB AgEnT #4 OUT

COM components are processor specific, so no, spirit.ocx won't work.
I have the Jornada 680 - the H/PC version - and it's a fantastic machine with
an excellent screen, but there are limitations. One of the most frustrating
things is that the IR device is limited to IRda, so it can't be used to talk
to the RCX (or the TV, stereo, etc. it's been tried). You could, in theory at
least, buy or build a consumer IR device for the CE and write to that, but
it's not trivial.

If you had that you'd be there - run pbFORTH and talk via the CE terminal
program.(Thanks Ralph - this is rapidly becoming my favourite RCX development
environment, and I got the added benefit of learning FORTH.)

I may give this some thought, but vita brevis, and all that.

CE gets my vote (at least, it got my money) - that's partly because I'm a
Windows programmer, so I can write for it, but mainly because it has a
keyboard. PalmOS is smaller, more hackable (easier low-level access), has
better IR, and a more active hacker community.

If you want to ask more about it (as opposed to it & Mindstorms) feel free to
email me directly.

-g