 Robotics / 8369
Re: Window CE Support for the Mindstorm Unit
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 19 Nov 1999 15:01:16 GMT

At 02:32 PM 11/19/99 +0000, you wrote:
<snip>
COM components are processor specific, so no, spirit.ocx won't work.
I have the Jornada 680 - the H/PC version - and it's a fantastic machine with
an excellent screen, but there are limitations. One of the most frustrating
things is that the IR device is limited to IRda, so it can't be used to talk
to the RCX (or the TV, stereo, etc. it's been tried). You could, in theory at
least, buy or build a consumer IR device for the CE and write to that, but
it's not trivial.

rajackson@qnx.com once suggested this solution:

"Since IRDA can operate as a simple serial device. It would be simple
to build a IRDA to RS-232 converter (it will need a IR led and Photo
diode and some level shifters). The you could plug the RCX tower into
the converter and the CE device could then signal the tower using it's
IRDA port."

I wonder if anyone has tried this?

Joel Shafer    joel@connect.net