 Robotics / 8214
Re: Web Page Update - new syncro/Lego motor internals
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 15 Nov 1999 21:49:03 GMT

Wes,

You can add me to the list of impressed synchro enthusiasts! :-)
Very nice design.
Your compact design inspired me also...
So, I went off and found another suitable tire for the small wheel hubs.
It's actually two smaller o-rings and a larger one offset to one side.
(small o-rings are size 014 : 1/16" width, 1/2" ID, 5/8" OD
and the large one is size 114 : 3/32" width, 5/8" ID, 13/16" OD )
Placing the large o-ring closest to the inside edge of the wheel hub preserves
the 1:1 ratio of wheel radius to wheel offset from center of the turntable.

A picture of this 'tire' is at :
http://www.net-info.com/~dcarlson/images/synwheel.jpg

BTW, I only use one wheel per turntable because it enables the bot to
change directions without
altering it's locatation or direction due to wheel scrub.
And keeping the wheel radius and offset equal reduces errors even more.
Of course, this is only if the bot doesn't tip over.  ;-)

-- Doug

Doug Carlson
dcarlson@net-info.com
http://www.net-info.com/~dcarlson