 Robotics / 8205
Re: Web Page Update - new syncro/Lego motor internals
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 15 Nov 1999 17:31:38 GMT

Bah,

And I thought mine was small.  Compared to yours, mine is a
big hulking behemoth. :)  (I know Wes in real life so I can only hope
that maybe he was somewhat inspired by my design. ;) )  My linkage
is completely different and not nearly as clever (although I _thought_
it was pretty clever), but it does fit within the turn tables like
yours.

Anyway, in mirroring the left/right steering linkage it looks
like you may have the same problems I found in my design.  It looks
as if from your pictures that one of the wheel assemblies is slightly
out of synch with the others.  My question, does this show up as
error when driving the 'bot.  This synch problem combined with the
fact that my design wouldn't allow me to balance my wheel assemblies
with two wheels thereby causing a weight distribution problem, caused
my 'bot to slowly veer to the right or left (depending).  This sort
of nullified the reasons for using the synchro platform in the first
place so I abandoned my platform for a while.

Also, is there a particular design reason for using the
pulley's for the drive train?  It seems like a slip in one side or
the other could also cause the 'bot to become out of "synch".

This is definitely inspiring.  I think I'll play with this
a little tonight.  I'm going to try and adapte this to my four
turn-table design.

Good job Wes,
-Paul (pspeed@progeeks.com, http://www.progeeks.com/)

Wes Matchett wrote:

I have two new items on my web page:

A mini syncro drive:
  http://www.monumental.com/wesmat/lego/MiniSyncro/MiniSyncro.html

Visual internals of a damaged Lego motor:
   http://www.monumental.com/wesmat/lego/motor/Motor.html

-Wes