 Robotics / 7022
7021  |  7023
Subject:
5VDC Voltage Regulation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 27 Sep 1999 15:02:07 GMT

I'm in over my head with a project and need some help.  I'm trying to use an RCX
output port to control a 5VDC SPDT Relay from Radio Shack (part #275-240A).  I
need to limit the voltage of the port to 5 volts.  How can I accomplish this?
Is a voltage regulator IC correct?  Alternatively, does anyone know if putting
excessive voltage across this relay (max. VDC is listed as 6.5) for long periods
of time will damage it?  I have put as much as 8.3VDC across the coil for a few
seconds without damage.

What I am hoping to achieve is a block with pairs if connectors, call the
connectors in each pair A & B.  When the relay is off the A connectors are
attached to the RCX.  When the relay is on, the B connectors are attached.  I
need 2 pairs for a project now, total of 4 motors - only 2 of which are used at
a time.  I believe the first version of this will have 3 pairs, one to be used
to control a sensor port.

Thanks,
-Wes