 Robotics / 7028
RE: 5VDC Voltage Regulation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 27 Sep 1999 18:08:43 GMT

You need to limit the current through the relay. Just add a resistor in
series with the relay. You can experiment, using a voltmeter, or you can
calculate the proper value from the relay specs. Relays specs usually list
the resistance of the coil. Lets say it's 1000 Ohms. If you add a 470 Ohm
resistor, then the relay will only see 2/3s of the RCX output voltage. I
believe the formula would be:
U_Relay = (R_Relay / (R_Relay + R_Resitor)) * U_RCX_Output

I recommend that you always put the output at full speed. You don't want to
supply pulses to the relay - it will draw too much current that way (AC vs.
DC).

A voltage regulator is overkill, and much too complex. You need to add at
least one capacitor, and two diodes - one to protect the regulator from
reverse voltage, and one to absorb the back EMF pulse when you turn off the
relay. You can accomplish your goal with just a single resitor instead.

Tilman

P.S. I once bought 100 of the small 5V relays from Radio Shack. They had to
special order them because they obviously don't have that many in the store.
When I came to pick them up, they gave me these two huge plastic bags
stuffed full with little relays in large display blister packs.