 Robotics / 7029
Re: 5VDC Voltage Regulation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 27 Sep 1999 18:26:14 GMT

Ralph Hempel <rhempel@bmts.com> wrote in message
news:000001bf0901$f58c67a0$0500000a@pro150...
I'm in over my head with a project and need some help.  I'm
trying to use an RCX
output port to control a 5VDC SPDT Relay from Radio Shack (part
#275-240A).

I would just put a 33Ohm 1/2W resistor in series with the relay coil.
According to the spec for the relay, the coil wants 5V at 90ma.  The RCX
outputs about 8V with full power so that is 3V too much.  The resistor must
eat up the 3V at 90ma.  V/I=R so 3/.09=33 ohms.  I^2 R=Power so (.09)^2
33=.27W so use a 1/2W.  = RS#271-1104.