 Robotics / 6973
Re: a couple of new-bot questions from a generally quiet lurker
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 20 Sep 1999 23:07:34 GMT

dave madden wrote:

(I didn't think of this; somebody else on the list
did.  It was a while ago, but maybe you could find the message in the
archives.  Or maybe the originator will speak up and tell us how
things worked out for that robot...)

I came up with this idea (I don't know if I were the first to do it,
though). It worked really great with almost no loss, but there was one
problem. The differential and the gearing introduces some backlash,
especially if you use those eight teeth gears. My goal was to make the
rotationsensor run ar fast as possible in order to make it measure even
the slightest rotation, but I discovered that this was not a good idea
due to backlash. I then replaced the two eight teeth gears with one eight
teeth gear and one 24 teeth gear. The gearing ratio from the differential
to the rotationsensor was now 1:3 and not 1:9, the design was a bit
larger, but the backlash was reduced heavily. I can't remember exactly
how I reveresed the left wheel, but I used a coupple of gear. Something
like this:

[MotorA]--24          24--[MotorB]
            8--[diff]--8
           24  8       24---[RWheel]