 Robotics / 6958
Re: a couple of new-bot questions from a generally quiet lurker
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 20 Sep 1999 08:22:50 GMT

=>From: "Stephen P. Gibbons" <steve@aztech.net>
=>...
=>My biggest gripe with this design [differtrans] is that there is no
=>way to get all motors contributing to a single effort in one
=>direction.

Perhaps you could use two regular motors joined through another
differential to provide drive, and a micro motor to provide turning?
(I don't have a micro motor, so I don't know whether it's got enough
torque to do any good.  In addition, you'll probably waste a lot of
power through all the gears you'd need to set this up.)

I think the best idea I've heard for the differtrans is to build a
regular, one-motor-per-wheel platform, but also drive the differtrans
inputs from the wheel axles.  Then, use a rotation sensor on the
differtrans outputs to see whether the robot is turning due to
different axle speeds.  This is a win because you don't have to
transmit any power through the (lossy) differtrans, you get both
motors driving the robot, and you still know whether your robot is
going straight.  (I didn't think of this; somebody else on the list
did.  It was a while ago, but maybe you could find the message in the
archives.  Or maybe the originator will speak up and tell us how
things worked out for that robot...)

d.